I know it’s been a while, and I’m sorry. It’s finals season, and I’ve only been pretending to read most of what is being assigned to me. After drinking some rum and diet cokes, I almost thought that writing about my hot professor was appropriate.
But it’s probably not, because he could read this or something.
Okay, now that I’m totally not making sense, let’s talk about “Post Office” by the guy who made it cool for writers to be fall down drunks. Well, one of them. Here we go:
- works seasonally for the post office
- just at Christmastime, you know
- for some cash
- for twenty years.
- he’s a good writer
- knows how to bullshit the government
- uses orgy scenes to help him remember his route
- like, the street names and stuff
- as in, if it’s at 33 Nancy Street, 33 men are doing Nancy
- you know, and other good thoughts like that
- Generally loyal
- Stays at one ex-lover’s deathbed
- which is cool
- Sends money to his kids
- clearly has a drinking problem
- and a gambling problem
- and since the book follows him for a while
- you can really feel the weight gain and general loss of youth
- due to all the ya know
- shitty way he lives his life
- but he gets laid a lot?
- He was probably hot at the beginning of the book? Maybe?
- Hooks up with a much younger girl for being rich
- which is probably his biggest moral lapse in the book
- It was pretty gross, I could imagine his hairy gut
- while they were
- okay, enough of that.
- He also loses his erections a lot due to drinking too much
Moments of sweetness and potential genius? Probably would have been all over this a few years ago…but drinking and gambling problems aren’t cool, kids, and they don’t make someone deep or sensitive. Rating: BONER-KILLER.